- This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks, 3 days ago by .
I’m a little confused about which direction to go with creating a membership directory.
1) Buy a plugin such as Posts Table Pro?
2) do it with Metabox & write my own plugin. If I do it with Metabox, which extensions would be involved?
Use case: I’m developing a website for a business association. They have 2 types of members: dealers & sales people. Sales people and dealers are related in that all sales people work for a dealer (& only 1 dealer); each dealer employs 1 or more salespeople.
I have a list of dealers & salespeople with basic info. Name, phone #, address. I will load this data from csv tables. Then I’d like dealers & salespeople to be able to log in & add additional data, such as image, website, etc.
Do I set up 2 custom post types? 1 for dealers & 1 for salespeople & connect them using MB Relationships?
Or do I make everyone a WP user & add custom fields to Users with the User Meta extension?
I’d like to be able to display sales people in 2 ways:
a) by last name alphabetically &
2) by the dealer they work for.
Re coding this all myself or buying an off-the-shelf plugin like Posts Table Pro.
On one hand, as a programmer, I can appreciate having complete control & flexibility.
On the other, I don’t want to be ridiculous & re-invent the wheel for no reason.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.