Meta Box Group is one of the best selling extensions of the Meta Box plugin which helps developers to organize the custom fields into repeatable groups. The plugin supports unlimited multi-level nested groups and fully supports the clone feature for both sub-fields and the outer groups.
Grouping custom fields is one of the most common tasks that helps you to see and manage your data better. Below are some situation where you might find it useful:
- You have hierarchical data and want to store them in a more structural way. The data should be stored in a multi-dimensional array to make them more efficient at accessing information.
- You want to create some custom post types requiring unknown numbers of entries which contain some custom fields. Such as the collection of books with different authors, content and publish dates. If you use Meta Box Group, the work can be much easier.
These are some more realistic example usage of groups:
- You have an “album” post type and each album has a list of tracks (unknown number), each track has information of title, single, composer, genre. Then you can create a group for the album, which has 4 sub-fields for title, single, composer, genre. The group is repeatable, so you can add as many tracks as you want.
- You have an “event” post type which will last for several days and each day has different opening times. Then you can create a group (repeatable) for the event, which contains information of the event in a single day. And you need a sub-group to store opening times of each day.
Multi-level Nested Groups
Since version 1.1, the Meta Box Group has supported multi-level nested groups with no limits for nesting level. The groups, sub-groups, and fields can be cloned as you see in the screenshot above.
This feature allows you to create a better structure for your data and opens an unlimited possibility using the extension to add more data for your posts. And when you create a new field type group, which can contain other fields, declaring sub-fields of a group is the same as normal fields. So less coding more convenient.
Sometimes, you need to collapse the sub-fields in a group if they’re very long to easy to control the content. This feature is supported in version 1.2. In this version, the UI of the group is updated and more beautiful.
Besides the ability to collapse/expand groups, you can also:
- Set the group title numerically or from the sub-field data.
- Save the collapsible/expandable state.
This feature works well with nested groups.
After organize the the custom fields logically, it is better to display them as the same clear way. We recommend incorporate Meta Box Group with Meta Box Columns to arrange fields horizontally in columns in a grid (see the screenshots below). By default, Meta Box Group displays fields vertically like normal fields.
- Organizes custom fields in groups for better appearance and data structure
- Unlimited repeatable groups
- Unlimited repeatable field types.
- Supports nested groups & multi-level nested groups
- Supports collapsible groups
- Integrates with existing meta boxes and custom fields easily by a few code