MB Term Meta is an extension for the Meta Box plugin which allows you to add custom fields (metadata) to taxonomy terms like categories or tags. The plugin uses the new term meta API in WordPress 4.4 which was just released recently. Using this extension, you can add more data to any term such as set featured image for categories, add custom colors, set custom SEO title, etc.
Adding metadata (custom fields) for taxonomy terms is important because it allows us to add more data to term objects. This data allows us to add a more visual description to the term objects beyond the default description which can help us designing in the front end.
Example uses of term meta
This is just an extremely small sampling of ideas, quoted from Justin Tadlock:
- Term images.
- Storing the color hex code (e.g.,
#000000) to assign a color.
- Storing the document title via an SEO plugin.
- Category templates that can be re-used (like page templates).
- Attach an icon to a term.
- Theme sidebar position.
- Privatize posts that are in a specific category in a membership plugin.
With MB Term Meta, you will have a powerful tool to implement all the features above. The extension supports you creating custom fields for terms the easy way, just like defining custom fields for posts. No more learning curve!
- Uses native term meta API of WordPress 4.4
- Uses same syntax as Meta Box (see documentation)!
- Uses the same UI from WordPress
Version 1.0.5 - October 3rd, 2016:
taxonomy_advancednot working with
Version 1.0.4 - September 8th, 2016
- Fix hook priority to compatible with Meta Box 4.9
Version 1.0.2 - July 28, 2016:
- Fix: conflict with core plugin where the fields are empty when editing posts
Version 1.0.2 - June 1st, 2016:
- Improvement: Make the plugin safe to be included in themes/plugins.
- Fix: Fix reordering images.
- Fix: Fix compatibility with WordPress 4.5
- Initial release