WordPress is the most popular and widely used blogging platform. It is used by millions of people around the globe. Because of this reason, hackers and spammers are also taking keen interest in breaking the security of the blogs. That’s why it’s important to think about security in advance. A reliable hosting service is the first thing you should ensure for your site. As an additional layer of protection, consider the following security plugins we’re rolled out for you. The list has some of the best security plugins for WordPress that are being used by users of WordPress to keep their site secure.
How Your WordPress Websites Get Hacked?
There are many reasons for the fact that your website has been hacked. Let’s have a look at those reasons.
- Weak passwords
- File permissions
- User permissions
- FTP vulnerabilities
- Your computer security
- Security of WordPress plugins
- Theme security
- Security of WordPress database
- Other WordPress themes and plugins
Never Rely On WordPress Security Plugins Only
Apart from having a WordPress security plugin you need to make sure that you do these tasks as well.
- Keep your WordPress themes and plugins up to date
- Always choose a good website hosting company
- Make use of secure and strong passwords
- Always keep a backup of your WordPress website
- Install a SSL certificate for your website
- Never download WordPress plugins and themes from untrusted sources
- Keep a close eye on user permissions of your WordPress website
- Make sure that your computer is safe and secure
- Make sure to use a good VPN provider when connecting to unsecured networks
Let’s take a look at some of the best WordPress security plugins, and how they help you protect your website.
Best WordPress Security Plugins
Current Version: 8.1.6
Last Updated: April 20, 2023
The iThemes Security (formerly known as Better WP Security) is believed to be the best and the easiest way to monitor your WordPress website security. With one-click activation for most features, as well as advanced features for experienced users, iThemes Security can help protect any WordPress site. Let’s have a look, what features this incredible security plugin brings you:
- If there are any vulnerabilities issues on your website then it will catch it with a single scan and fix the issue in seconds
- Easy to resist notorious users, hosts, and bots
- Enhance your server’s security
- You can assign passwords to your accounts that are strong
The paid version of this security plugin is a little more awesome than the free one. It gives you additional features with an extra mobile app, Authenticator. It is a two-factor authenticator. Let’s see its top features:
- Hasslefree update for WordPress keys and salt
- Easy to schedule a malware scan
- A widget in the dashboard to manage all the security of your WordPress.
- Strong password generator directly from profile screen
If you need a detailed review of Securi, see this review.
Current Version: 7.9.3
Last Updated: May 31, 2023
Wordfence Security is a free enterprise-class security and performance plugin that makes your site up to 50 times faster and more secure. It starts by checking if your site is already infected. It does a deep server-side scan of your source code comparing it to the Official WordPress repository for core, themes, and plugins. Then Wordfence secures your site and makes it up to 50 times faster.
Wordfence Security is 100% free. They also offer a Premium API key that gives you access to the premium support ticketing system at support.wordfence.com along with two-factor authentication via SMS, country blocking, and the ability to schedule scans for specific times. The plugin creators also make it cheaper for developers, providing steep discounts when you signup for multiple site keys. For instance, opting for 25 keys cuts the price to about $29 per year for each site. Overall, it pays to consider Wordfence if you’re developing multiple websites and want to protect them all. This security plugin can also disable Application Password in WordPress 5.6 - the new feature that may cause some security problems to your WordPress site.
Current Version: 1.8.39
Last Updated: April 13, 2023
Sucuri is the industry leader in WordPress security. It is one of the best WordPress security plugins on the market. They offer a basic free Sucuri Security plugin that helps you harden WordPress security and scan your website for common threats.
But the real value is in the paid plans, which come with the best WordPress firewall protection. A firewall helps you block brute force and malicious attacks from accessing WordPress. Sucuri website firewall filters out bad traffic even before it reaches your server. They also serve static content from their own CDN servers. Apart from security, their DNS level firewall with CDN gives you a tremendous performance boost and speeds up your website.
Most importantly, they offer to clean up your WordPress site if it gets affected by malware at no additional cost. You can even take a website already affected by malware, and they will clean it up for you.
Best features of Sucuri Security:
- It offers multiple variations of SSL certificates. You do have to pay for these, but it’s available in the packages.
- The customer service is available in the form of instant chat and email.
- You receive instant notifications when something is wrong with your website.
- Advanced DDoS protection is available through some plans.
- If you don’t want to pay any money you still receive valuable tools for blacklist monitoring, malware scanning, file integrity monitoring, and security hardening.
For the users who don’t code a lot, plugins are the best way to secure your blog. Most of them are free, easily usable and safe.These security plugins especially will protect you from all kinds of malicious activities. But installing plugins is not enough. You might want to audit your site and fix the issues before hackers do that for you. We hope you like this post. Let us know your thoughts via the comments section.
2 thoughts on “Best WordPress Security Plugins For Your Website”
Thank you 🙂
I recommend Prevent Direct Acess plugin. I've used it for my website and I am totally satisfied with its quality and customer service.